Foods to Avoid During Fasting Prayers
Fasting is an important part of the life of a Christian. Most believers fast for clarity. They depend and focus on scripture, God and prayer instead of eating and drinking.
Christians who’re new to fasting lack experience in the practice. And, they may not know what foods they can or can’t eat while fasting.
What a fasting Christian can eat depends on the type of fast being done. Whereas some Christians avoid certain foods during fast, others only drink water. Some Christians even go without food and water for dry fasts.
Why fasting is important
Fasting allows Christians to be totally dependent on the Lord without focusing on the needs of their physical bodies. As a result, Christians develop a deeper connection and intimate relationship with God.
4 Types of Fasts & What to Eat or Avoid During Fasting
Fasts are categorized into 4 groups.
Full or complete fast involves abstinence from food and liquids except water. According to the Bible in the book of Esther chapter 4:15-16, Queen Esther called for a three-day fast of this kind.
Esther and her people fasted for three days without food and drink, for their freedom. During a full fast, Christians can only drink water.
Food is put on hold for the entire duration of the fast. However, Christians must do this type of fast with great caution. And, it must not be extended for longer time periods.
Partial fast resembles full fast except that it lasts for a shorter period. However, it includes abstinence from eating food.
Just like full fast, partial fast involves drinking only water during the entire fasting period.
Believers must fast with great caution. And, beginners should strictly follow the guideline and instructions for fasting to obtain optimal results.
Daniel fast replaces unhealthy foods with fruits and vegetables. Basically, it’s a vegan fast. Some foods you can consume during this fast includes:
- Seeds and nuts – you can eat any kind of seeds or nuts during a Daniel fast as long as they’re not salted. Some seeds to consider include:
- Flax, etc.
You can also eat the following nuts during a Daniel fast:
- Pistachios, etc.
- Whole grains – opt for whole grains when doing a Daniel fast and avoid processed varieties. Avoid grains with yeast and any other foods prepared with yeast such as flat loaves and leavened bread. Some grains to eat include:
- Brown rice
- Fruits – opt for canned fruits without added coloring, sugar or preservatives. You can also eat fresh, frozen or low-glycemic fruits during this fast. Some fruits to consider include:
- Eggs and Meats – Don’t eat animal proteins during a Daniel fast. The Book of Daniel encourages Christian believers to eat whole grains, fruits, nuts and seeds during fasting.
If you’re a meat lover, you must wait until the fast is over for you to enjoy eating your favorite dish. Even so, excess consumption of meat isn’t recommended.
However, you can invest in a good pellet smoker to help you prepare your meat just as you like it. But, if you decide to opt for a vegan diet, pellet grills make a great gift idea for your loved ones. You can give yours out or get them a new one.
- Vegetables – fresh or frozen produce, or canned vegetables are allowed to be eaten during the Daniel fast. However, make sure that the veggies aren’t salted.
You can eat all types of farm produce or vegetables, including potatoes during the Daniel fast. However, eat them in moderation.
- Herbs and spices – you can consume herbs and spices during a Daniel fast because they’re plant-based. You can use salt but in low amounts. Some herbs to consider include:
- Paprika, etc.
- High-quality oils – moderately use plant-based oils during the fast. They include:
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Avocado oil
- Peanut oil
- Canola oil
- Walnut oil
- Grapeseed oil, etc.
- Dairy – avoid dairy foods and related by-products during a Daniel fast. Instead, opt for unprocessed substitutions. Avoid milk, eggs and cheese, among other dairy products.
Catholic Christians honor Jesus during Easter (before the Passover) through Lent fasting. It’s a traditional fasting method allows consumption of diets free from animal proteins such as meats.
One large meal is broken down into two smaller meals. Believers aren’t allowed to drink any liquids during the fast within the 46-day fasting period.
3395 Oral Lake Road
Prior Lake, MN 55372